[TowerTalk] Beverages and Trees

alsopb alsopb@gloryroad.net
Wed, 08 Mar 2000 18:12:40 +0000

Guys,

I was re-reading the ON4UN Low Band antenna handbook and ran across a
statement I need more info on.  This quote is from the section titled"
Location of the Beverage"

"Just as it is not recommended to put up vertically polarized antennas
between tall trees, it is not a good idea to run a Beverage antenna
through the woods"

Would somebody please explain this.  It was my impression that trees
are fairly transparent to RF at lower frequencies.  What is the real
effect and its magnitude?

What about the practice carried out by some of using galvanized
staples to attached galvanized wire bevrages to tree supports? I see
that even ON4UN attaches beverages to bamboo poles.

73 de Brian/K3KO