[TowerTalk] Beverages and Trees

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av@contesting.com
Wed, 08 Mar 2000 13:39:55 -0500

For years W4KFC ran long wires through the woods. They played.

I have heard this business about staying out of the woods with
verticals for years. But I have never heard it quantified. But then
how would one do a controlled experiment, particularly since ground
conductivity has such a big effect?

Put up a vertical in the woods, with a receiving antenna a mile away
in the woods. Measure. Cut down all the trees in between. Remeasure.
Right...

On Wed, 08 Mar 2000 18:12:40 +0000, you wrote:

>Guys,
>
>I was re-reading the ON4UN Low Band antenna handbook and ran across a
>statement I need more info on.  This quote is from the section titled"
>Location of the Beverage"
>
>"Just as it is not recommended to put up vertically polarized antennas
>between tall trees, it is not a good idea to run a Beverage antenna
>through the woods"
>
>Would somebody please explain this.  It was my impression that trees
>are fairly transparent to RF at lower frequencies.  What is the real
>effect and its magnitude?
>
>What about the practice carried out by some of using galvanized
>staples to attached galvanized wire bevrages to tree supports? I see
>that even ON4UN attaches beverages to bamboo poles.
>
>73 de Brian/K3KO

--.  .-..
73, Guy

Guy Olinger, K2AV