[TowerTalk] USTowers and cables - Summary

N3SL@aol.com N3SL@aol.com
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 17:15:09 EST

To ALL who responded:  A very large THANK YOU!  It has been 2 weeks since I
sent out the "cry" for help, and I received no fewer than 67 responses!   Far
and away the most common was "I have the exact same problem (or some
variation).  Please share any info you find out."  The second most common
was, "I have a similar setup and have not found a good solution."  I was
getting very discouraged, to say the least, and thinking that USTower
obviously had a major design/engineering/information sharing problem on their
hands!

Rather than make this very long winded, here's what I've deduced from the
guys who actually have a workable solution to the problem.  The extent to
which some people have gone to "fix" this is mind boggling, while often
rather ingenious.  However, here's what I would summarize as the "best" way
to do this:

Critical step:  Bundle your cables so they move as one, whatever that takes,
and whatever method you choose.  I now have mine done with zip ties every 2
feet, which seems to work.  I chose a 2' interval because I was using the
smallest ties I could.  I started with fairly heavy duty ones, and the heads
were big enough to occasionally "catch" as the cable moved up or down through
the rings.  I'm sure tape would work, but it didn't strike me as nearly as
"permanent."

Hang the cable from the top arm ONLY.  Everyone with an installation where
the cables were tied at each arm had problems with the loops catching when
the tower was being extended.   This method is not perfect, either, as you
have to deal with the pile of cable coming all the way to the ground.  One
person had mitigated that problem by putting a 6' arm on the bottom section,
attaching the cable there and letting one BIG loop form.  The 6' spacing from
the tower seemed to prevent any tangling on the way back up, although not
100%.

Clearly, the most useful information came from Dick Flanagan, W6OLD: complete
with a web site and pictures.  The two things he's done that no one else
mentioned are shown in photos on his web pages:  put corrugated plastic
tubing over the coax arm rings to prevent snags, and use Kellam grips at the
top.  Once I saw the pictures, it was a "DUH!" reaction on my part - like
"how obvious!"  I have yet to do these two things, but they're at the top of
the list when the weather gets good enough to dedicate the time needed.   His
web page is at
     www.qsl.net/w6old/party.html
but the 2 really "critical" pictures are
     www.qsl.net/w6old/images/party/kellems.jpeg
     www.qsl.net/w6old/images/party/coaxarm.jpeg

Again, a sincere thanks to all who responded.  I started by responding to
each message, but the input was so overwhelming, I couldn't keep up.  Some
even sent phone numbers and offers to discuss things with me for ideas.  A
truly incredible reflector group!!!  Good luck to all of you who are in the
same boat I was in.

73,
Steve, N3SL