[TowerTalk] Pulling Heliax through conduit

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 17:02:21 +0000

At 08:52 AM 3/12/00 -0800, Jonathan Kaplan wrote:

>If you don't have a pulling rope in the  conduit,  tie the rope to a ball
>of cloth
>and fit it  loosely in one end. At the other end,  use a vacuum (wet/dry, or
>whole house like I used). Put the hose to the PVC opening. It ought to
>suck the cloth and rope through very quickly.  I believe there are small
>umbrella shaped devices made and sold for this purpose too, but I
>have never used them.

I think the real issue is being missed here - the PVC is only 2 inches ID
and has 4 90-degree bends in 50 feet.  The maximum radius of the required
bends in the 1/2" Heliax is therefore on the order of 4 inches, and pulling
it through the pipe by whatever method will subject it to a lot of
small-radius flexing.  The real question is whether it can survive this
sort of treatment.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

Don't forget to update your entry on the World Contest Station Database, at
http://206.102.70.3/search.htm