[TowerTalk] Pulling Heliax through conduit

ValErwin@aol.com ValErwin@aol.com
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 19:33:14 EST

Tom:

I dunno' if it is the proper thing to do as far as Mr Andrew's specs go. But,
I have done it in the past for a run as long as 150 ft. with only 3 sweeps in
the line.

The secret?:

1. Don't attempt with connectors in place - obviously.

2. Use a cable lubricant to make the heliax slide through easier. (Available
at your local electrical contractor supplier.)

When I did the trick, it took 3 of us to do it. One was helping feed the
cable  into the conduit with a second guy applying the lubricant just prior
to it entering the conduit. Me?  I was  pulling on the end of  about a 5/16"
dia. rope.  Amazingly, the pull was fairly easy! (I could tell when I hit the
corners.)

After the pull, the cable was checked with laboratory instrumentation to 1 GC
- no problem. The cable has been in the ground now for 3.5 years and still
continues to perform --

GL

Val
W5PUT