[TowerTalk] Guy Protection

Gerald Smith w6ter@worldnet.att.net
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 07:14:47 -0500

I had previously asked the group about ideas and methods of guy wire
protection. That is, how to prevent tampering and possible cutting of
the guys. I want to share what I have done.

My guy system is Phillystran within 25 feet of the ground, thereafter
1/4 EHS to an elevated guy post. There are three guying levels.

I used 2 1/2 EMT over the guys and turnbuckle. On the top two guys, the
EMT is 10 feet. On the bottom buy, the EMT is 15 feet (one ten foot
piece and a 5 foot piece held together with a compression fitting). I
drilled holes in each end of the EMT to fit a wire rope clip.

During construction, the bottom of the EMT sections are fitted with a
wire rope clip to hold the EMT up toward the thimble, at the
intersection with the Phillystran. This keep the EMT out of the way
during tensioning.

After construction, the clip is removed from the bottom of the EMT and
the tubing is allowed to slide down, covering the turnbuckle. Safety
wire, of course, is used on the turnbuckle before sliding the EMT down.
A wire rope clip is place at the top of the EMT, using a ladder, to
prevent the EMT from sliding up.

If someone desires to cut the guys, a ladder would be necessary or very
long bolt cutters.

Gerry, W6TER