[TowerTalk] Re: using conductive grease and clamps

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 16:31:23 EST

In a message dated 17.03.00 12:31:56 Pacific Standard Time, w5mj@hal-pc.org
writes:
<< I have been following this thread very closely because I have an interest
in
 both antennas and airplanes.  Your thought on the RF passing along the skin,
 then across the top of the clamp is intriguing.  Do you suggest I use
 Penatrox or equivalent when putting the clamps on?  I have been using anti
 seize on the screw drives and threads of everything I assemble for a long
 time, but never thought about the clamp interfering with the passage of RF.
  Regards,   Madison  w5mj >>

RF needs the lowest resissssssstance path in particular near the high current
area.  I have pictures of the "Aluminum Cancer Tumors" deep pits under an
uncoated SS clamp.  Each clamp has 2 RF connections.  Count your clamps X2
and add that to the joints.  Coat the clamps and what's underneath it.  I
know of some beams with over 100 press fit connections that get
resisssssstive of which the summation of lowers the Q of the elements.

Quads don't have SS clamps on the one joint per element.  Just a permanently
soldered joint that needs no maintenance--ever.  K7GCO