[TowerTalk] Cleaning Aluminum Eelements

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 15:15:10 EST

In a message dated 20.03.00 09:44:08 Pacific Standard Time,
k4sb@mindspring.com writes:

Dave D'Epagnier wrote:

 > Cleaning the outside is easy. How do you clean the inside of those small
 > diameter elements?
 >
 > --Dave K0QE

 Simple my friend... go to a gun shop and buy different sizes of
 those little do hickies used to clean the inside of a gun barrel. You can get
 them from .22 caliber up to 10 guage. 73  Ed

It's also a good idea to have a 1' extension made so you can get deeper into
the tubing to prevent Aluminum Oxide build up deeper as tubing is frequently
telescoped 6-12".  It can lock up on you further in if not cleaned and
coated.  I have 12' extensions also as sometimes I use double tubing.  If you
have old tubing you may not even be able to telescope it.  Don't worry about
the dissimilar metals of the brush while cleaning.  Stainless steel brushes
are stronger but are not as flexible and you need more sizes.  K7GCO