[TowerTalk] Two Killed Erecting Tower

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 10:19:10 EST

In a message dated 03/21/2000 9:13:27 PM Pacific Standard Time,
wa4dou@juno.com writes:

>   I'll climb 20 ft. of unguyed 25G. I know some folks who would climb 30
>  ft. of unguyed 25G.
>  I know one or 2 little runts who delight in taking chances who would
>  climb 4. I don't know anyone who would climb 5 or 6.
>
>    I'll bet Steve K7LXC would back me up on it too!

     Well, while climbing 40 feet of naked 25G isn't something I'd like to do
everyday anymore, I've done it many times and it's really the accepted method
of stacking steel. With no wind, it's safe and more of a psychological
barrier than an unsafe practice. I've stacked 100 feet in a day with just 2
people using this method.

       Even with 40 feet exposed, you'd have to hook up a cable from the top
of the tower to your car in order to exert enough force to pull it over. One
200 pound climber in little wind is a pretty minor load even for this
'worse-case' scenario.

     I've heard stories of people stacking 2-3 sections before putting in leg
bolts, climbing 60 feet of naked 25G, etc. without an accident but totally
discourage anything that stupid. It goes to show you that 25G is really
strong and durable for its size and will take abuse that it was never
intended to. And people luck out too. After all, every time you speed you
don't get a ticket.

      There hasn't been a ham tower fatality in years and I'd like to think
that TowerTalk has had some influence on keeping hams out of trouble in this
activity.

       BTW Champion Radio Products will be at Dayton this year with the
biggest array of tower safety equipment we've ever had so stop by and we can
talk about climbing and working safely at altitude.

Cheers,    Steve      K7LXC
Champion Radio Products
Tower Tech