[TowerTalk] Two Killed Erecting Tower

K4SB k4sb@mindspring.com
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 16:18:35 +0000

K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
>       There hasn't been a ham tower fatality in years and I'd like to think
> that TowerTalk has had some influence on keeping hams out of trouble in this
> activity.

So would I, but as for the ham tower fatality, I'm afraid there
has. About 2-3 years ago, working alone, one of the guys in
Atlanta fell from about 20 feet. No safety belt. He had removed a
2-3" shrub, tree, whatever, which was only a couple of feet from
the base, but unfortunately, for reasons which will never be
known, had left a 12" or so stump...

His wife ( and he had 2 small children around the ages of 4-5 )
returned home and found him impaled with the stump through his
chest.

It's dangerous enough just to be on the tower. Let's keep in mind
that we don't need to make it more dangerous by objects on the
ground. Keep your work area clear. A 20' fall should be
surviable, but landing across a section of tower on your back, or
a ladder, tractor, ect. decreases it.

73
Ed