[TowerTalk] Two Killed Erecting Tower

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr@radio.org
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 15:23:43 -0500

On 3/22/00 2:42 PM, Barry Kutner at w2up@mindspring.com wrote:

>While I am guilty of climbing alone at times, I can add the following:
>
>I, too, never free climb. I have a Rohn 45. On my fall arrest harness
>are two lanyards. One wraps around the tower, and stays there all
>the way up and down.  The other one is used to attach me to the
>tower when climbing around obstacles like Tic Ringrotors, where
>the wrap-around lanyard has to be removed. It is also used once in
>working position. I also have a fall-arrest lanyard with a gorilla hook
>(purchased from Champion Radio) which is used once in working
>position, attaching to the ring on the back of the harness.
>
>Also, when climbing alone, I carry either a cell phone or a 2m HT
>up the tower with me, just in case...

I won't judge you, Barry, but I do have some hard questions:

* what happens during your climb if you lean back on the positioning
lanyard and it breaks?

* what use will a cell phone or a 2m HT be if you get injured and are
unconscious?

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
            -- Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales