[TowerTalk] Comments on corrugated conduit?

ValErwin@aol.com ValErwin@aol.com
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 19:48:08 EST

Len:

I know exactly the corrugated black tubing you are talking about.  (It is
available with and without drain holes along its length.) I used the same
stuff when I built my new home in order to drain the rain gutters away from
the house. Home Depot has interface adapters to mate up with the drain spouts.

I also thought of the same idea as you but decided against it for the
following reasons:

1. Since it is corrugated, the walls are rough and it might make getting an
electrician's snake through it a little difficult. Also, it could make a
cable "pull" a little harder, especially on the bends as the cable would tend
to hang up on the corrugations!

2. I was unable to find anything that it transitioned to nicely once you
"pop" out of the ground with it. Without nice transitioning at the  ends, it
is difficult to keep out rain, small animals, etc.

3. The material is non-UL flammability rated for the application that you are
proposing.  You will find that some cities require UL rated conduit in order
to route electrical cables despite the fact that primary power may not  be a
part of the cable run. Your city inspector might have a real problem with
this -- if he sees it!

Otherwise, go for it!  I elected to run the Home Depot conduit  and made two
runs out to the middle of the back of my property. Why two runs? One Godzilla
size for all the coax and a smaller one for AC power to power my tower motor
and provide AC for soldering iron, etc.

GL

Val
W5PUT