[TowerTalk] Re: Summary: Buried Pipe for Cables -- Further Questions Please?

DavidC DavidC" <eDoc@netzero.net
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 09:42:57 -0500

> Water will always get into the pipe. During really wet times, the pipe
> may actually fill up. It may just happen over a period due to
> condensation inside the pipe. The coax, wire, (and pull rope) you use
> STILL needs to be the buriable (inert flooded) type to keep water from
> doing damage.
>
> What you don't want to have happen: The first spring the pipe fills
> completely up with water and stays that way. The first winter the ground
> around AND the water freeze. Pipe is split and coax is crushed.
>
> 73, Guy  k2av@contesting.com  Apex, NC, USA

No freezing problem here in Florida ... hooray!

What about my idea to expose the top of the black tubing to
allow the sun to heat it and of adding vents to allow the heated
moist air to escape?

The soil here is very sandy so it drains quickly.  The only concern
about the top-side venting is that when the ground is wet the heating-
venting effect could cause wicking up though the bottom-side drainage holes.

BTW:  How many drain holes are really necessary along a 100 foot tube?

- Thanks! & 73, DavidC  K1YP in Hudson, FL