[TowerTalk] Tower splicing

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 07:15:05 -0600

Can you cut the legs off right at the concrete?
Or add more concrete to cover the stubs, leaving
a nice flat surface?

If so, then just go with a ROHN base plate and
and large center pin or screw.  Allowing the base
to rotate is actually a safer installation than a
rigid base.   Granted, a rigid base is generally
not a problem for modest tower heights (<100 ft).

If you still want to splice to the buried tower,
just get some galvanized pipe that just fits
inside each leg, bolt it to the bottom section
and insert in the buried tower.  You might
even be able to get one set of bolts (heavier
than the standard leg bolts) in the exposed
stubs but this is probably not necessary if the
pipe is a snug fit.

FWIW, I have build some 3 ft ground bases
for two towers using galvanized pipe with
welded straps.  They are still intact after
many years (>10).

de  Tom  N4KG