[TowerTalk] FW: 2nd C31XR on Europe?

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 07:31:28 -0600

Another simple trick would be to add a triband dipole
above the C31XR, parallel to the boom.  That way you
would ALWAYS have an antenna at +/- 90 degrees
to your big beam.  Be aware that there may be some
interaction with the boom of the tribander which could
diminish the effectivity of the dipole some.  If you have
some extra mast above the tribander, give it a try.

Of course another one or two tribanders at 40 ft is still
advisable.  Remember, NO SINGLE antenna height
will cover ALL the angles supported by the ionosphere,
especially now that high sunspot activity has returned.

de Tom  N4KG

# # # # # # # #

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 12:31:11 -0500 "Brian Smithson"
<brian_smithson@vds.com> writes:

> Hi all!
>
> Well, after a semi-serious effort in WPX this past weekend it is
> finally clear to me why I've heard others have a beam or two
> fixed on Europe. Quite often I'd be working some other part of
> the world and then discover a mult over there. Sometimes I could
> work them, others not and I'd have to decide if I wanted to swing
> the beam around.
>
> Right now, I've got two towers, both 72'. On one, I have a lone
> C31XR. On the other, I have a XM240 and a WARC beam 15' above it.
> My question is, would another C31 be effective bolted to the side
> of either of these towers, and if so, which one/how far below the
> top should it be?
>
> It seems like if I put it on the first tower below that C31 I
> might be able to play the phasing game to europe, but once aimed
> there I really didn't have any trouble getting thru. I also wonder
> if the beam below would mess up the pattern for any other direction.
>
> What do you think?
>
> 73, and thanks!
>
> -Brian n8wrl
>

> --