[TowerTalk] US Tower bearing measurement needed

DMartin560@aol.com DMartin560@aol.com
Mon, 1 May 2000 13:35:30 EDT

Hi again Roger,
I had also thought about the pipe flange.  Thought this would look like a
plumber had done it (I have used these to mount 2" pipe to concrete tower
foundations to support the ice bridge), but this isn't really a plumbing
fitting so maybe I can sleep at night...after all, the customer isn't going
to climb up there and see it and at 60 feet the only thing left is the
birds...and I don't think they will mind...

Think this is the plan-
1)Get the 77" of 1 1/2 (ID) PIPE and a pipe flange.
2)Install the pipe down through the bearing to the rotor shelf and thread on
the flange.
3)Tighten the top set screws and plumb up the pipe.
4)Use the flange as the template and drill holes in the shelf and bolt it
down...hope none of the existing holes in the shelf are in the way.
5)Mount antenna and install Heliax.
6)Collect the bill and....
7)Head for the beer store for a cold Gatorade as one of my customers calls it
on the air!

I believe it will work!

Thanks again and 73
Dwayne   KG4ADM

<< Hi Roger and thanks for the reply,
 This was exactly my original intent, but obtaining 2" OD tubing (if it's
"pipe" it's measured inside diameter) on reasonably short notice was proving
to be difficult.

 A)  2" pipe is appx 2 1/4" OD  =  too big for thrust bearing
 B)  1 1/2" pipe is appx 1 7/8" OD  =  1/8" too small, but may be able to use
the set screws in the top support tube.

 Additionally, it's 52 1/2" from top of thrust bearing to top of rotor shelf
plus I need 24" out the top of the tower to mount the antenna.  With this
length of tube/pipe with a plate welded on the bottom to bolt to the rotor
shelf, I can't get this assy into the tower...I did not notice if the entire
top plate would unbolt from the tower...if it does, I can go in from the top.

 Like I said earlier, was originally going all the way down to the rotor
shelf, as I took the measurement for pipe length and even traced a template
of the holes in the rotor shelf and measured the ID of the thrust bearing.....

 Will study on it a little more....
 73
 Dwayne   KG4ADM

 << Subj:    Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower bearing measurement needed