[TowerTalk] (no subject)

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Wed, 3 May 2000 00:59:12 EDT

In a message dated 02.05.00 16:43:02 Pacific Daylight Time, n4kg@juno.com
writes:
<<
 IF you ever want to put other antennas on the tower,
 then Phillystran is a good idea.

 BTW,  on the high bands, an antenna at 35 to 40 ft
 OFTEN beats higher antennas during the day, even on 20M.

 My TH6 at 80 ft SUCKS on 10M where my lower
 antennas (at 40 and 60 ft) are ALWAYS better.

 Remember, NO  SINGLE  ANTENNA  HEIGHT
 can cover ALL the angles supported by the ionosphere.

 The BEST solution is to have high and low antennas.

 de Tom  N4KG

That is basically correct.  I like a 2 element 5 or 6 band quad or a Raibeam
at say 35' for stateside and some DX where they do a good job.and more
elements at 75' +.  The Hex Beam does real well at 35' also.  There is a way
to come close to 2 beams at different heights with 1 antenna.  There is a way
to feed a quad horizontally or vertically polarized instantly selectable in
the shack.  Ground Reflection Factors (see ARRL Antenna manuals in
40's&50's--they don't show them anymore for some reason) for the same height
show where one polarization has a lobe, the other has a null and visa versa.
You at least get 2 different angles of radiation.  However the ground
reflection loses are higher for vertical polarization and the pattern nulls
tend to fill in.  Even so a different angle at reduced amplitude can still be
effective.

Over salt water vertical polarization can be dominant where it skips in.
W7DND had a vertically polarized 2 element yagi at beach level over a salt
water inlet pointing east.  With 5 dB gain no one could touch him stateside
or DX.  It was total domination.  Those who operate over salt water should be
limited to 100W.  He had other vertically polarized beams on the beach on
different bands that were dominant also.

There is another problem with vertically polarized beams on a tower.  It's
equivalent to a very bad case of RF spill over on to the coax shield, mast
and tower.  Vertical polarization really lights up the tower, boom, decreases
potential F/B and broadens the angle of radiation.  It can raise levels of RF
into the shack also often getting into the audio.  There is a way to cool the
tower with 1/4 wave stubs on the tower at the right spots.  There is another
way to reduce the amount of RF induced on the tower.  Have the entire quad on
one side of the tower for one band and another quad for another band on the
same boom on the other side--both with good F/B.  There is a spacing for 2
element quads that gives a great null in the back of the quad and it hardly
sees the tower.  This way with vertical polarization, it can be far more
effective without excessive interference from the tower when vertically
polarized.  It also helps in reducing QSB from polarization shift.  With this
feed system I have I can also select 45 degree polarization left or right and
turnstile CW or CCW also which really gives some versatility (6 different
polarizations) for different angles from 1 antenna at any height.  K7GCO