[TowerTalk] TH7 SWR trouble ... Coax balun question

Fred Hopengarten k1vr@juno.com
Fri, 5 May 2000 10:24:37 -0400

On Fri, 5 May 2000 11:42:01 +0300 markku.a.oksanen@nokia.com writes:
> As you can see I *really* don't want to use commercial baluns
> Markku  OH2RA

Markku:

	You should not accept your engineering advice from a lawyer, nor your
legal advice from an engineer, but I'll offer a thought anyway.

	I have a stack of a TH6 over a TH6 over a TH7. For each I built a small
plastic box with an SO-239 (UHF) panel mounted socket and two "ears."
The ears are stainless steel 1/4-20 bolts going through the plastic box
to two nuts on the outside of the box. I then have six inch "pigtails"
from the stud (bolt) to the TH6. Physically, It looks like and mounts in
the same place as a BN-86 or BN-4000. Inside the box is nothing but the
wires from the back of the SO-239 to the bolts. An RG-213 jumper goes
from the 50 ohm hardline to the little box and at the box end I have five
or six Chomerics toroid beads over the RG-213.

	I am very happy. I work a lot of guys and make a lot of points. The
principal weakness in my system is the nut that holds the key.

Fred Hopengarten K1VR
hopengarten@post.harvard.edu
Six Willarch Road * Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
781/259-0088 *eFax 419/858-2421

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.