[TowerTalk] 2000 Antenna Forum Speakers

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Fri, 5 May 2000 10:41:52 -0400

> On 5/4/00 9:27 PM, TexasRF@aol.com at TexasRF@aol.com wrote:
>
> >Re feedline lines vs. mismatch: Yes the feed line loss is less with a
> >lower loss cable but the difference in loss is much greater than the
> >difference in line loss when the mismatch is not there. ie: if the loss
> >difference between two cables is say 1 db with matched load, the
> >difference is greater than 1 db with mismatched load. The charts for this
> >are in the some of the handbooks.
>
> This would imply that the loss is caused by the feedline, not by the
> mismatch in the load.

Hi Bill,

Gerald makes a very good point, as does Jim Reid. I worry about
how the listeners may take Steve's Dayton talk also, if those
comments are anything like those in his past articles and posts.

The added loss is caused by the increased current and voltage in
the transmission line.

"Mismatch loss" at the line to load or line to rig is easily corrected
by using a tuner anywhere in the system.

The additional loss caused by increased voltage and current (VAR
power) in the transmission line is only corrected by having the
tuner at the load end of the line.

This is why I objected strongly to MFJ including the misleading
parameter "match efficiency" or "mismatch loss" in Antenna
Analyzer display modes.

By the way, I measured some rigs using Maxwell's measurement
method as well as one I devised, and indeed the rigs I measured
were very close to conjugately matched when properly tuned. IMO,
Maxwell is much more on target than the people desperately trying
to disprove a conjugate match can exist.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com