[TowerTalk] closeness to commercial building roof top

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sat, 6 May 2000 10:55:48 EDT

In a message dated 05/06/2000 7:46:15 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
w8ji@contesting.com writes:

> > I have often wondered about the effects of shooting through
>  > power lines.  To JA, my powerlines are 50, 125, and 200 ft
>  > away from towers that are 40, 60, and 80 ft.  It is pretty
>  > clear that NONE of the top antennas are as effective as
>  > others who have clear shots.  When I rotated the
>  > aforementioned 45 ft high 5L10 to JA, (300 ft from the
>  > power lines) it immediately became my best antenna in
>  > that direction.  Unfortunately, trees have grown to 50 ft
>  > very close to that tower and that 5L10 has been taken down.
>  >

>  Or other antennas. By far, the worst performing stations I have
>  seen have oodles of antennas in a small area.
>
>  There is something to be said for a clean simple layout where
>  antennas don't "look-through" lower band antennas (even if they
>  aren't "resonant").

      I'll second that. The last time the CQWW and ARRL DX contests were won
from the west coast were by AI6V's station which had no stacks but just one
(1!?!) monobander per tower with some distance between towers - very simple
and effective.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech