[TowerTalk] Shortwave Antenna

Fred Hopengarten k1vr@juno.com
Tue, 9 May 2000 00:37:49 -0400

OK, it's not a tower based antenna, but this is an antenna question
nonetheless.

For years I've been carrying a Sony IC-2002 and now a Sony SW-7600
receiver to listen to the ham bands, the BBC and other short wave
signals. The 7600 is basically the same as the 2002 but the 7600 has an
LSB/USB switch, whereas the 2002 is only double sideband reception; and
the 7600 has headphone stereo on FM.

In addition to the telescoping antenna, the 7600 comes with a Sony reel
of 30' of wire. A comparable reel can be bought at Radio Shack.  This
antenna works well when I am staying in a wooden cabin in Nova Scotia,
but in a steel girder airport hotel, it is not good (can you say "Faraday
Cage")?  Query:  What do you recommend for short wave reception inside a
modern hotel room?

Should I bring a 10 foot run of RG-174 coax with a 3.5 mm plug on one end
and a 3.5 mm jack on the other, thus beginning the wire antenna closer to
the hotel room window? Should I try to clip to the window or sliding door
aluminum frame? What kind of clip would work?  Any other ideas?

Fred Hopengarten K1VR
hopengarten@post.harvard.edu
Six Willarch Road * Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
781/259-0088 *eFax 419/858-2421

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.