[TowerTalk] New Tower/Antenna Installation

Paul Christensen paulc@mediaone.net
Wed, 10 May 2000 11:24:07 -0400

I am considering the purchase of a Force12 40-meter monoband MAG 340N and
multiband C-31XR antennas to be mounted on either a Tri-Ex Sky Needle or
LM-series 70-foot tower.  Apparently, the new MAG 340N is resistant to
mutual coupling effects and can be mounted within a reasonably close
proximity to multiband Yagi antennas on a shared mast.  With this in mind, I
would like to mount the MAG 340N on top of the C-31XR by a distance of 15
feet, both pointing in the same azimuth.  My question concerns the height of
the antennas and specifically, given the constraints of a single tower with
these two antennas, is there an optimum "overall" height for the 40-meter
antenna?  I want to place as much emphasis as possible on the 40-meter
operation.  It would appear that the "optimum" height for 40-meters is a
half-wave above ground in order to minimize the effect of high-angle lobes.
However, I see many single 40-meter monoband antennas mounted up to 100-feet
above ground.  Why, if more high-angle lobes are produced?  I realize the
ideal situation is to incorporate more than one level of stacking, but I
want to stay with one antenna at a "best overall" height.  Thanks!

-Paul, W4XR