[TowerTalk] Tall verticals

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av@contesting.com
Thu, 11 May 2000 22:38:53 -0400

Actually I wasn't thinking about HI. That's a real haul from end to end.
A 40 halfwave is only 65 feet, tho.

In the northeast we didn't even consider 40m afternoon or night because
of the EU broadcast stations which flatten the band. We did manage to
get 80 meters to work daytime to north of Albany, Binghamton, and
Montauk Long Island from Putnam county, NY, which was all we really
needed. Guess that's something over a hundred mile radius.

However some new modes might open up 350 miles over saltwater even to
daytime 80 M.

I have watched perfect PSK31 demodulation on an 80 meter daytime signal
that I could not hear in the noise. They probably would have needed
another 15-20 dB for minimal SSB communication. I wonder if some kind of
battery box PSK31 might be contrived that converted to CW audio for
super sensitivity, super simplicity. Also get the improved noise figure
of narrow filters on the low bands.

73, Guy
k2av@contesting.com
Apex, NC, USA