[TowerTalk] Hi-Tech Station Cost

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Wed, 24 May 2000 10:12:43 -0400

> According to one reference, this should be much closer to 2 dB for the
> identical number of elements on an identical length boom, making the
> comparison between the quad and the Yagi a bit more dramatic.  See the
> excellent article in the May, 1968 issue of QST, by J.E. Lindsay, W0HTH.
> In particular, read his summary at the bottom of page 19.

That article was based on scaled antennas. It was later determined
the bulk of the gain advantage was due to the improved feedpoint
connection at UHF, where the antenna was tested.

> >From a purely empirical standpoint, the signals that stand out, time and
> again here at my QTH in Florida come from the quads.  This seems to be the
> case for stateside and DX signals.  One of the most impressive signals,
> (if not the absolute strongest signal) I have ever heard on 40-meters
> comes from John Brittain, K9DX.  I believe he is using a 2-element quad on
> 40, 4-elements on the upper bands, all mounted on a 30-foot boom, atop a
> Tri-Ex Sky Needle at 90-feet.

With day-to-day QSB, the various power levels used, the
differences in location, it is impossible to sort out five dB of
difference in every day empirical observations.

However, Wayne Overbeck took the time and trouble to compare
yagi's and quads to a reference antenna he moved around to each
QTH. What he found was very few quads worked as claimed, and
the best quads were absolutely no better than an equivalent length
yagi...most were worse.

If you look at moonbounce operators, where every fraction of a dB
counts, you won't find arrays of quads. That's because they
MEASURE the performance, rather than depending on emotions.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com