[TowerTalk] Hi-Tech Station Cost

Paul Christensen paulc@mediaone.net
Wed, 24 May 2000 09:03:10 -0400

>advantage over a two element yagi. At some heights, there is no
>advantage at all. So the real gain advantage of a two element quad
>over a two element yagi is somewhere between zero and just over
>one dB

According to one reference, this should be much closer to 2 dB for the
identical number of elements on an identical length boom, making the
comparison between the quad and the Yagi a bit more dramatic.  See the
excellent article in the May, 1968 issue of QST, by J.E. Lindsay, W0HTH.  In
particular, read his summary at the bottom of page 19.

In any event, It seems to me that this is what antenna system optimization
is all about.  One or two dB in and of itself may not be much, but through
the use of low-loss transmission line, low-loss connectors, antenna height
optimization, linear amplifier....small changes in a dB here and there can
add up to be significant.

>From a purely empirical standpoint, the signals that stand out, time and
again here at my QTH in Florida come from the quads.  This seems to be the
case for stateside and DX signals.  One of the most impressive signals, (if
not the absolute strongest signal) I have ever heard on 40-meters comes from
John Brittain, K9DX.  I believe he is using a 2-element quad on 40,
4-elements on the upper bands, all mounted on a 30-foot boom, atop a Tri-Ex
Sky Needle at 90-feet.

-Paul, W9AC