[TowerTalk] Hi-Tech Station Cost

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Wed, 24 May 2000 17:31:55 -0600

On Wed, 24 May 2000 "Paul Christensen" <paulc@mediaone.net> writes:

> According to one reference, this should be much closer to 2 dB for
> the identical number of elements on an identical length boom, making
> the  comparison between the quad and the Yagi a bit more dramatic.
> See  the excellent article in the May, 1968 issue of QST, by J.E.
Lindsay,
> W0HTH.  In particular, read his summary at the bottom of page 19.

	Lindsay made his models around 400 MHz where the
	matching efficiency to his quads was better than to his
	Yagi's.  Today's concensus is closer to 1 dB.  See the
	chapter on loop antennas in the W2PV Yagi Antenna Book.
 	de  N4KG

> From a purely empirical standpoint, the signals that stand out, time
> and
> again here at my QTH in Florida come from the quads.  This seems to
> be the
> case for stateside and DX signals.  One of the most impressive
> signals, (if
> not the absolute strongest signal) I have ever heard on 40-meters
> comes from
> John Brittain, K9DX.  I believe he is using a 2-element quad on 40,
> 4-elements on the upper bands, all mounted on a 30-foot boom, atop a
> Tri-Ex Sky Needle at 90-feet.
>
> -Paul, W9AC

Are you sure that John B A T T I N, K9DX, uses quads?

de  Tom  N4KG

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.