[TowerTalk] Hi-Tech Station Cost

Paul Christensen paulc@mediaone.net
Wed, 24 May 2000 23:19:34 -0400

> Lindsay made his models around 400 MHz where the
> matching efficiency to his quads was better than to his
> Yagi's.  Today's concensus is closer to 1 dB.  See the
> chapter on loop antennas in the W2PV Yagi Antenna Book.

There's a lot of information in the literature and it's becoming more
difficult to ascertain what is valid and accurate.  In the past week, I have
discovered as much MISINFORMATION concerning the performance of quads v.
Yagis as I have with respect to transmission line theory.  I suspect that
much of the inconsistency through the years can be attributed to a lack of
standardized and generally-accepted measurements and procedures.  What
assurance do we have that the W2PV information valid?  Further, what makes a
consensus in this case?

>Are you sure that John B A T T I N, K9DX, uses quads?

No, I always make a point of stating a fact when I'm not sure (?).  Yes John
B A T T I N, K9DX was using his Cubex Mantis quad when I worked him last
Thursday night on 40-meters while he was running 1KW.  Need further proof?
Multiple images of his Mantis installation are available at:

http://www.cubex.com/pho.htm

-Paul, W9AC