[TowerTalk] 2db

alsopb alsopb@gloryroad.net
Fri, 26 May 2000 12:26:12 +0000

Guys,

Many of you missed the point.

Consider contests only for the mean time:

1) There are a hugh number of operators who are equally skilled.
2) They are located in geographically different areas.  However, many
are in the same area.
3) Equipment performance is essentially equal
4) Power levels are all equal.

Now how does one station stack the odds in favor of beating the
other guy?

Answer:  find 2db + some have some good luck

Stacking the odds doesn't insure anything.  It can't hurt and may
indeed help.

I'd like those of you who "run em" to look over your logs where power
is part of the exchange.

Towards the end of the contest (especially on 40) there are many, many
stations who run 5 - 10 watts.  It seems only reasonable that a few
extra db's may indeed make the difference between QSO and no QSO for
with those stations. A few extra QSO's often makes the difference
between beating rivals and not.

It appears to me that the remarks on this topic can be categorized
into two groups.

1) Those who believe it
2) Those who don't

It doesn't seem that either group is willing to listen to the other's
"data".  Admittedly definitive data is hard to come by.

I do think that if 5db doesn't make any difference we should all trade
in our 5db gain beams for dipoles. Clearly, we must have all deluded
themselves into seeing an overall performance/pile-up difference that
are not there.

73 de Brian/K3KO