[TowerTalk] Placing An EWE Over Water

Nat Heatwole heatwole@clark.net
Sun, 28 May 2000 19:49:42 -0400 (EDT)

I'm planning to put up some phased EWE receiving antennas for 80m/160m
soon and I'm wondering where the best locale for them would be.
Realistically, I have three options for their placement. I have listed the
three as well as general information about each bellow:

1. In the woods strung between trees.
	-The ground is mainly covered with leaves and branches.
	-A fair amount of decomposing natural material would be in close
	 proximity.
2. In a grass field.
	-Contains naturally occurring grass and wild flowers.
	-Contains no growth stimulants, fertilizers, or pesticides.
	-Has a tendency to hold water and create mud after a rain storm.
3. Over a creek.
	-Contains only fresh (not salt) water.
	-Would flow about 12ft beneath the EWE.
	-The water is constantly moving.
	-Contains very few, if any animals or wildlife.
	-Is about 6 inches deep and 4ft wide at it's largest points.

Now, in your opinion, which of the above three options would be the best
place to mount an EWE receive antennas for use on 80m/160m? Would there be
a noticeable advantage to placing them over the creek water? Would that
create a disadvantage or distort the EWE's pattern? The coax runs for all
3 are about the same, and all three are far away from my transmit antenna
as well as any metal or resonate objects. As always, all help is greatly
appreciated.

73, Nat/WZ3AR