[TowerTalk] Low height woes

Jim Thomson jim.thomson@telus.com
Mon, 29 May 2000 09:41:11 -0700

       I could use some replies....fast.

-It appears that in their infinite wisdom, the local RI  has restricted
my tower height to a paltry 38', due to a 'petition' from a  local
anti-tower group. Towers here in town range all the way up to 150'
rotary tower's  in residential areas. New Tower proposals are being
squashed by city hall left and right, for both radio amateurs and all
the celluar and paging co's.

-I'm trying to complile a list of CANADIAN amateurs with towers >50'  in
height in residential areas.  'Residential'  meaning at least one home
on either side of an amateur.  I don't require any names or even
callsigns, just the street address,town,province, of where the tower(s)
are located + height of tower(s)

-If you know of any, pse let me know,so I can add it to my list.

-I'd also appreciate ANY anecdotal stories from ANYWHERE (including
USA), on experiences
relating to increasing the height of an array (160M-6M),  from say a low
height like 35-40'  to something higher,like 65-85' .  Results of
enhanced performance(esp 40 and 20m yagis) + RFI reduction is what I'm
after.

-I have retained a PE to try and spell it out for them,as anything I say
will be "biased."  This is the 4th tower I have had in the last 28 yrs.
I never had any problems before in any of the previous 3 homes I owned.

- I'm pointing uphill into EU + Africa  (3 degree slope).   The RFI from
my 4 linears (only one in use at any one time) with the current setup
,(F-12   520/340Z) etc,  is nothing
short of bizzare. Everything from  gas furnaces coming on, to laptops
(no ext cables) being wiped out to 15 motion detector lights,
TV,VCR,clock radio's, telephones, digital telephone answering
machines,cable modem/DSL modem drop offs, video games,  and anything
else you can think of. Anything over 500w, and RFI  out to 300' away
occurs.

-95% of this could be eliminated by simply moving the ants up higher. My
previous towers ranged from 50-70-80',  and never any problems like
this.

-Any help would be much appreciated. I have to file more paperwork soon
with RI, and need all the ammunition I can get. I'm trying to set up the
station to get back into contesting,and I don't need both hands tied
behind my back.

-I want the Trylon T-500 up to full height...72', where it belongs.

Pse reply direct to me.

Tnx fellows............Jim  Thomson  VE7RQ         1853 San Pedro Ave.
Victoria  BC  Canada   V8N-2G5        (250)  472-1444

jim.thomson@telus.com