[TowerTalk] Tower planning

Jack Markum jmarkum@n-link.com
Mon, 29 May 2000 21:39:24 -0500

Good evening,
    I will have a lot of questions in the future, but I would like to start
off with a few basic ones here.  I have been a ham for 20 years, but have
never erected a tower of my own.  I have been involved as a part of the
ground crew since age 11, so  I do have basic knowledge of the process.  I
would appreciate any assistance or guidance along the way.

I live in a residential area, so I know that I will have to research zoning
ordinances, etc.  on towers.  I also live in relatively close proximity to
an airport, so that's another concern.
I will be using Rohn 25g.  I can go up as high as my living
conditions/ordinances/airport will allow(I have 130 feet).  I am planning on
putting up a Force 12 C4S or C4SXL(any comments on these two antennas will
be helpful), a set of stack-11 Cushcraft 2 meter beams, a Cushcraft 2/440
vertical on top, and possibly a set of 440 beams similar to the stack-11's.
I will probably use a Yaesu G-1000SDX rotator.  Will the tower/rotator
handle this type of wind load?  I probably won't be able to go any higher
than about 50 feet (plus the mast if lucky), and am planning on using 2 sets
of guys.  I had dreams of adding a moderate size 6-meter beam later, but I
don't want to put too much on one tower/rotor.

Also, the guys are going to be a bit tricky to place, as I have a small back
yard, and the poles need to be back there.  Are 4 poles/sets of guys
necessary, or will 3 do?  I will definitely have more questions about the
guys later, such as what type, if torque arms are necessary, etc., but this
is more than enough for one day.  I know that I'm showing ignorance here,
but I would rather do it now in the planning stage than later after it's up!
I have really enjoyed the expertise on this reflector, and appreciate all of
the advice given.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Best 73,
Jack Markum  N5DUW
Killeen, Texas