[TowerTalk] fixed sidemount

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Tue, 30 May 2000 05:20:43 -0600

Pete,

For several years, I had a 3L20 on a 24 ft boom U-bolted to a tower
leg at 63 ft on my 130 ft Rohn 35 tower.  The legs of this tower are
identical to R25 with wider spacing and slightly heavier bracing.  I
used 1-1/2 inch U-bolts with a piece of thin PVC slit lengthwise
placed over the leg for protection.

A stronger method would be to U-bolt a piece of aluminum channel
across TWO legs with a pair of U-bolts and a pipe mast to the side.

A pair of pieces of angle aluminum or angle iron could be mounted
across opposide sides, forming an open V on the outside where
an aluminum plate could be mounted to hold a rotor.

OR, two supports could be mounted across a face, spaced a few
feet, allowing support of a short mast at both ends.

de  Tom  N4KG

On Tue, 30 May 2000 03:54:04 +0000 Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
writes:

> Initially, I'm planning to fix the lower C-3 in my stack on Europe.
> It
> looks as if the easiest way to do this is to use a piece of steel
> tubing,
> ubolted to one leg and to a cross brace, and mount the antenna using
> the
> regular boom-to-mast fixture, rotated 90 degrees.  It'd be nice if
> it
> happened that a face of my tower was in the proper position for this
> purpose so I could u-bolt to both legs, but it's not.
>
> Am I asking for trouble doing it this way?  Is there a better one?
> For
> those not familiar, the C-3 is only 5 square feet of wind area, an
> 18-foot
> boom, and only weighs 32 lb.
>
> Thanks for any advice
>
> 73, Pete Smith N4ZR