[TowerTalk] Ramp up

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 02:58:32 EST

In a message dated 11/7/00 10:44:07 PM Pacific Standard Time,
dcoolica@planet.eon.net writes:

<< Hi Steve,
 I am on my second 24 volt motor.  I have no binding in the mechanism and yet
the
 draw on the motor is 10 amps  at 22 volts.
 The motors I am using are 24 volts General Electric RIC and have a rating of
7.9
 amps and have a time rating of 1 minute.   The motor is spec to turn at 8500
 rpm. I have two of these motors on two prop pitch assemblies The size of the
 motor is 2 1/4 X 4 3/4 in.
 The rotator assembly is turning a 5 element 20 meter beam on 46 ft. of boom.
 It
 is balanced as far as weight is concerned.

 I have been up there when it is rotating and note that it does not seem to
get
 up to speed.

 Maybe I am not using the correct motor for the prop pitch but they are the
 motors  that came with the two prop pitches that I have.

 I would not want to pay $400 US each for two motors that I need.

  I have a source of 90 volt DC motors which are specified as 6000 rpm and
have a
 rating of 1000 watts. I was planning on using this motor

 I am tired of climbing!

 Denis Ve6AQ
 http://www.telusplanet.net/public/telwest/ve6fi.html

 K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

 > In a message dated 11/7/00 1:02:57 PM Pacific Standard Time,
 > dcoolica@planet.eon.net writes:
 >
 > > I drive a prop pitch rotator with a 90 volt DC motor.
 >
 >     Aren't they 28 volt motors? Are you concerned about decrease in
 > reliability? Have you encountered any problems? What did it do to the
rpm's?

 > Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
 > Tower Tech

It just occurred to me that you may not have a motor problem but a gear box
problem of perhaps rusty bearings.  Unless you have taken the proper steps to
keep water out, it can mess things up.  You need a gear box overhaul.  I know
how to do it.

I have a large PP motor and when speeded up to 6 rpm with a 3 element 20M
beam on it and it will coast 110 degrees to a nice smooth stop. The extra
momentum and free motion of the gears and bearing freely allow this.
 K7GCO