[TowerTalk] Ramp up

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 09:56:32 EST

> I am on my second 24 volt motor.  I have no binding in the mechanism and
yet
> the draw on the motor is 10 amps  at 22 volts.
>  The motors I am using are 24 volts General Electric RIC and have a rating
of
> 7.9
>  amps and have a time rating of 1 minute.   The motor is spec to turn at
8500
>  rpm. I have two of these motors on two prop pitch assemblies The size of
the
>  motor is 2 1/4 X 4 3/4 in.
>  The rotator assembly is turning a 5 element 20 meter beam on 46 ft. of
boom.
>  It is balanced as far as weight is concerned.

Hi, Denis --

    I'm not sure what the average current draw should be. Maybe someone on
TowerTalk would know.

    The prop pitches I've used don't really care what the antenna is or what
the weight distribution is.

>  I have been up there when it is rotating and note that it does not seem to
> get  up to speed.

    That's something I've never run into. The ones I use and the ones I've
installed get up to speed right away. I don't know what the problem with
yours might be. Have you have the motor turned? Have you installed new
brushes? I'm not a motor guy but it would be worth doing IMO before you
embark on your fix with the new motor.

>  Maybe I am not using the correct motor for the prop pitch but they are the
>  motors  that came with the two prop pitches that I have.
>
>  I would not want to pay $400 US each for two motors that I need.

    Someone on TowerTalk will have them for less - that seems excessive to
me.

>   I have a source of 90 volt DC motors which are specified as 6000 rpm and
> have a
>  rating of 1000 watts. I was planning on using this motor

    How do you couple the new motor to the prop-pitch transmission? How about
running your existing motors on a higher voltage?

>  I am tired of climbing!

    QSL. My antenna system needs a bunch of work and I haven't gotten around
to it - hi.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech