[TowerTalk] Ramp up

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 16:42:43 EST

In a message dated 11/8/00 1:41:15 PM Pacific Standard Time, K7GCO writes:

<< Dennis:  In addition to the simple way to ramp the voltage I gave below
and suggesting some drag in the gear box, I have another suggestion that
might be causing the slower speed.  The commutators can get dirty and should
be cleaned.  A dirty commutator will slow it down.  Also my Variac suggestion
that I use myself, it feeds the 110 AC input to the transformers that provide
the 28 VDC. 10 amps or more is not uncommon.  A higher voltage at the shack
can make up for the resistance of long lines.  That eliminates running other
power lines up the tower for the transformer and relays there.  This and my
"Stepped Voltage Switch" described below to provide a stepped voltage for a
smoothing up and down on the speed is so simple and functional that any other
system is going to be very complex.

 Any style motor is easy to get apart. There are 3 right angle bolts holding
the end bearing plate where the brake is that are a bit tricky the first
time.

 One style of motor is easy to get off the gear box as it's just bolted on
the small gear box as well as the large gear box.  Another style of mounting
has a big retaining ring that can be hard to break free.  I'd spray around it
with WD-40 and let to soak.  Secure gear box in a vice. Take a chisel with a
blunt end and use a big hammer to turn it on the square notches of the ring
CCW.  If that doesn't do it, heat it and use a jack hammer.  Even then that
can be a hassle and I almost gave up on one but on the last series of hits,
it came loose.  Grease the threads when it's reinstalled.

 I'd sure check out the gear box.  There is another trick you have to know to
get it back together if you remove the planetary gear or you won't get it
back together.  There are witness marks or a number like "0" on the rotating
gears that has to be positioned out or the bell gear won't slip on.  In any
system everything has to be right for proper operation.  Everything has to be
checked when you have a problem.  When everything is properly prepared for
rotator use, I've checked several PP motors after 25 years and they didn't
need any maintenance except I did clean the commutator.
 k7gco