[TowerTalk] liquid tape

Greg Gobleman k9zm@frontiernet.net
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 06:02:40 -0600

Hi Tony,

You might be referring to Scotch Cote Electrical Coating.  It's is not the
same as liquid electrical tape.  It is possible that I have not seen a new
product from 3M and it could be a type of liquid electrical tape.  Check the
container closely.  If you have never used Scotch Cote, beware, that stuff
is pretty nasty.  Fantastic for connections which are protected from UV.
Underground connections are ideal.  I have always wrapped with Scotch 33 or
88 then Scotch Cote then wrapped again and a final coat of Scotch Cote for
the in-ground stuff.  Above ground, the sun will eat off the outer layer.
Be sure to read the warnings as the vapors are harmful.  If you use it
directly on a UV protected connector, you may never get it apart.  Always
wrap with Scotch 33 or 88.  Or you may have to expose it to UV for a year to
get it apart.

Greg K9ZM