[TowerTalk] New tower help

Mike McCarthy, W1NR w1nr@eecorp.com
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 08:05:41 -0500

You need to talk with the building permits department (building inspector).
Find out if you need a separate permit and apply for it after you have
selected the brand and type and have gotten the engineering specs from the
manufacturer.

You will need to check the base specs of the tower to find out what type of
concrete they want.  Chances are good that there will be a difference in the
mix (smaller media, higher 28 day strength, etc.) from what they pour for
standard foundations.

Aluma tower isn't bad.  But if you live near the coast, it might not be a
good idea.  Salt corrosion will kill it.

Rohn SSV would be a much better free standing solution.  Roughly twice as
expensive as the aluminum, but FAR more durable.

Third solution is Rohn 25, 45, 55, etc. (go with the strongest you can
afford) with house brackets.  This is very dependent on your house design.
If you are only planning a ranch, it might not make it.  A two story will be
much better.  Rohn 55 has some wind load rating unguyed at 50'.  With house
brackets, it is quite high.  Mounting the house brackets prior to closing up
the walls and siding the house will allow for better seal and durability.

GL and 73 de Mike, W1NR