[TowerTalk] 80m small antenna

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 15:40:35 EST

In a message dated 11/21/00 6:29:35 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ValErwin@aol.com writes:
<< Chris:

 Back in my single life, I lived in various apartments and tried virtually
 every type approach on a limited space antenna.   I would recommend trying
 the following schemes:

 1. Use an antenna tuner and load the rain gutter -- it works!! (Best!)
 2. Try to find one of the old "Slinky" dipole antennas w/ladder line.
 (requires tuner)
 3. Use two 80M Hamsticks back-to-back in dipole configuration.
GL
  Val W5PUT

    Good idea.  How about a screw driver mobile antenna using the rain gutter
as a ground.  Try vertical, 45 degrees and horizontal orientation.  It has
the great advantage of being able to resonate it over the whole band and any
band.  I've done it.  I've also mounted the screw driver mobile antenna at
the peak of the roof and run 8 radials down and connect to the rain gutter.
It does a great job.  You can resonate it over the whole band and any band
regardless of the size of the radial system.

  Another trick is to have a BC 3 gang variable Xc in a box where the Xc is
in series with the center coax lead to the whip.  Drive it with a selsyn and
have a cover box.  The technique is this.  The Rr of the whip will generally
be below 50 ohms.  If the antenna is made longer it becomes inductive
reactive and the Rr increases proportionally.  The series variable capacitor
is adjusted to the same capacitive reactance and leaves the resistive Rr.
With the right lengthening of the screw driver antenna and the right shack
adjustable Xc in series at the feedpoint, you can get 50 ohms Rr over the
whole and any band.  Instant 50 ohms on any band.  How do you like them
impedance matching apples?

I'm going to mount a screw driver mobile whip on top of a 30'  3" irrigation
pipe and use the series Xc at the bottom.  I'll be able to adjust it to 50
ohms and/or resonance over several bands as a 1/4, 5/8 or 3/4 wave which has
distinct advantages.  3/4 wave gives higher angle coverage also.  Short
radial systems tend to lower the Rr of the antenna which you are able to
compensate for.  If the Rr the antenna is above 50 without the series Xc
which it can be with a lossy mobile coil (ant some are), it will rise
slightly when the BC 3 gang Xc (1000 uufd) is inserted.  To short out the Xc,
I bend some plates over such that at full capacity the selsyn driven Xc is
shorted--no Xc.  I like a selsyn drive better than a motor drive as it's
faster, it can be calibrated and no shaft couplings are twisted etc.

There is another advantage of this concept.  You can lengthen the whole
antenna via the screw driver motor to obtain 100 ohms for matching with a 75
ohm 1/4 wave matching stub.  The advantage is that the Rr is now 100 ohms and
it reduces the affect of the ground system loss resistance which is in
series.  it's a may to maximize an antenna system--for contests. There are
many other advantages which I will cover in a major article I'm preparing.
For one band verticals just lengthen the antenna with tubing and use the
series Xc accordingly for the desired Rr.  Eznec can tell you how much.  This
is a new concept that solves the problem that most Rr's are below 50 and
resonant at one frequency with verticals.  With a single series Xc fixed or
variable you can create the desired Rr anywhere in the band.  I gave you some
food for technical thought.  Use your imagination for all the applications.
I can hardly count them all.  This is a great concept for mobile also and
many have thanked me for telling them of it.  New antenna ideas stimulate the
creative blood for more new ideas. K7GCO