[TowerTalk] Re: RFI filter for DSL line?

Paul McInnish - K4BET k4bet@bellsouth.net
Sat, 25 Nov 2000 12:04:57 -0500

I, too have DSL (from Bellsouth.net) and I was able to get a whole house
filter from Bellsouth.net.  I
installed it on the outside where the underground line from the street
pedestal comes into house at the
interface box.  I separated the DSL line from the phone line via this
filter and ran the separate DSL line
(CAT 5 cable) from this filter to the DSL modem in the office/ham
shack.  This also allowed me to remove
each of the individual filters from each phone throughout the house....
the biggest plus with this (in addition to
stopping RF problems with a 1.5 kw amplifier on low bands) was my
digital telephone answering machine
worked better!  I still have a standard phone line in the shack for
telephone and fax use. (DO NOT use one
of the unused pairs in the DSL CAT 5 cable for the phone line!!!
Potential "cross talk" - experienced
this!!  Use a separate cable!)

73,

Paul - K4BET