[TowerTalk] Shunt feeding tower with stacked tribanders for 160

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 08:02:05 -0500

In the aftermath of CQWW, I've got the 160-meter bug.  Last January I asked
the group whether anyone had shunt fed a tower with stacked tribanders on
it, but got no responses.  Now the tower is real, and the question no
longer hypothetical -- I've searched the archive, finding nothing except
K2WK's query and one person's advice to forget it.

This same tower already has a lazy-vee dipole parasitic array for 80m, and
modeling indicates that a simple antenna like an inverted V will mess that
up.  Using the tower to support an inverted L would be a problem because of
the rotation of the lower beam -- for that matter, a shunt feed that taps
the tower above the bottom antenna would have the same problem.

Do I have an insoluble problem here?  Should I settle for a tree-supported
I-V or I-L, which would be substantially lower than the tower's top?

73, Pete N4ZR

Contesting is ... Extreme Radio

The World Contest Station Database
is back up and running at