[TowerTalk] Testing Antennas

bob puharic wf3h@ptd.net
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 03:30:15 +0000

"Tim Makins, EI8IC" wrote:

> [...]

It's a great instrument, and really indispensible. I was having a problem with
my antenna after my station was destroyed by a lightening hit. I put a dummy
load on the shack end of my coax, climbed the tower, and hooked an MFJ 247 (an
older model) to the connector on the tower. It told me right away my antenna was
fine, and the coax was wrecked. I replaced the coax and all was fine. I even
read a hint in an old QST that, by sweeping thru frequencies you can tell
whether the connector on the coax you've just made is fine, or if you have a
short somewhere further up the coax.