[TowerTalk] Tower instalation.

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 21:21:15 EST

In a message dated 11/25/00 1:28:58 PM Pacific Standard Time,
fev@fibertel.com.ar writes:

> My Question is if it is necessary to use Guys with insulators to be sure
>  that they are not resonants and if it is, how I calculated the lenghts
>  between insulators.

    A chart of resonances is in the ARRL Antenna Book. Most guys in the US
use 26 or 27 feet.

>  What kind of insulators are the best in this use?

    Ceramic. You can probably order some off the internet. Porcelain Products
#500D is for cable up to 3/16 inch and #502 is for 1/4 inch.

>  Is necessary to use insulators at all the guys levels, I will have 2 levels
>  at 9 and 17mts.

    The top one is the most important.
>  Any has experience with Kevlar guys?

    US made Phillystran is the choice of many competitive stations with very
populated towers. It is a non-conductor and invisible to RF. Even with wire
cables broken up with insulators, it's still a bunch of steel that your
antenna is looking into.

Cheers,    Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech