[TowerTalk] Sommer antennas

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 21:31:12 EST

In a message dated 11/24/00 5:39:01 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Tony.Seaton@turner.com writes:

> Anyone have experience with Sommer beams or antennas in general?

    Okay, I'll bite.

    I haven't heard much in the way of anecdotal info about them one way or
the other. But I'm suspicious of Sommer owners who say they're "great'
because they probably suffer from Mosley Syndrome; that is - "it works" but
isn't competitive.

    The only one I've seen in the flesh was an incredible amount of parts and
complexity that just made me shudder. I've put just about every antenna made
together at one time or another and this was worse than the KT34XA in terms
of complexity. At least it looked like it to me.

    But the bottom line to me is that if it was a real killer antenna, then
lots of contesting guys would be using them. They ain't.

    You've got to remember that for a given boomlength you're gonna have
comparable performance.

    BTW we haven't tested one in our tribander comparison report.

    Would I suggest investing in one? Nope. Read the report to help answer
many questions.