[TowerTalk] resonance/swr/impedance plots

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av@contesting.com
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 21:33:18 -0500

What you say is correct for ONE of the THREE factors involved in ground
losses:

The three involved are:

1)  Intermediate to Far field reflectivity losses due to vertical
polarization, which, as you say, may increase if the phase center of the
vertical radiating cross-section is raised, because of moving the
"bounce point" or maximal INDUCED ground current farther away, and
possibly off or to a worse part of the ground screen.

2)  E-plane current induction loss directly underneath the feedpoint,
usually defeated by a good ground screen. This is forgotten by those who
say a true vertical dipole, shortened or not, doesn't need any attention
to the ground underneath.

3)  Series-resistance ohmic loss when using an end-fed wire against a
ground current sink. It is hard to create a good ground screen. 120 1/4
wave radials? THAT is low resistance.

Starting with a wire loaded against a ground rod, factor 3) is by far
the worst, then 2), then 1). You don't get the chance to play with
factor 1) until you've eliminated 3) and 2) with a really good ground
screen.

But suppose it isn't, say it's ten or 15 ohms (I've seen over 100 ohms
loss). Then a 15 ohm antenna fed against it will loose 3db in ground
ohmic losses, PLUS probably some of the E-plane loss, PLUS some
reflectivity losses.

All that was said, was that a 100 ohm feed for the wire, in series with
15 ohms ground resistance, looses a lot less to ground ohmic losses than
a 15 ohm feed for the wire in series with 15 ohm ground resistance.  A
fifteen ohm antenna fed against a 100 ohm lossy ground won't radiate
past the neighbor's house. It's like N6BT's light bulb directional
array.

Regards, Guy
Apex, NC