[TowerTalk] (final) RG-402 (UT-141) coax preparation

Bryan Fields kb9mci@qsl.net
Wed, 04 Oct 2000 10:49:29 -0500

Thanks to all who replied.

the consensus seams to be to use a knife to score the shield and crack
it off.  this is the method that i used and it worked.  i still had a
problem trying to get the shield off but managed to make a balun none
the less.

Also i had a chance to use a aluminum solder kit.  In the past I have
tried to use the brazing rods that must be scraped on the surface of the
part being soldered to.  these work ok, but there is no capillary action
between surfaces.  the solder that i used has a special flux and cadmium
- zinc solder.  with a small torch I can solder aluminum as easily
soldering copper.  this has made constructing the N connector and
matching network very easy.  this makes the excellent electrical
connections possible that are maintenance free.

the particular kit i used is " Strongset solder kit number 509"  made by
All-state welding products.

thanks again for all the replies,

Bryan Fields, KB9MCI