[TowerTalk] (final) RG-402 (UT-141) coax preparation

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 16:39:59 EDT

In a message dated 10/4/00 8:51:56 AM Pacific Daylight Time, kb9mci@qsl.net
writes:

<<
 Thanks to all who replied.

 the consensus seams to be to use a knife to score the shield and crack
 it off.  this is the method that i used and it worked.  i still had a
 problem trying to get the shield off but managed to make a balun none
 the less.

 Also i had a chance to use a aluminum solder kit.  In the past I have
 tried to use the brazing rods that must be scraped on the surface of the
 part being soldered to.  these work ok, but there is no capillary action
 between surfaces.  the solder that i used has a special flux and cadmium
 - zinc solder.  with a small torch I can solder aluminum as easily
 soldering copper.  this has made constructing the N connector and
 matching network very easy.  this makes the excellent electrical
 connections possible that are maintenance free.

 the particular kit i used is " Strongset solder kit number 509"  made by
 All-state welding products.

 thanks again for all the replies,

 Bryan Fields, KB9MCI

I'm not familure with the aluminum solder you use but I wlll suggest you try
the aluminum solder often found in the Flea Markets or Home Shows.  It has no
separate flux, flows well and may have a lower flow temperature.  I solder
the joints of aluminum tubing with a Burns-O-Matic Torch--for ZERO resistance
and ZERO maintenance.  These joints have lasted 8 years now.  Clean the
joints with steel brush, soap and water, rotate joint in lathe slowly, heat
with one Burns-O-Matic for 3/4/5/8" tubing and "it will flow."  k7gco