[TowerTalk] All Gauled Up! (was U Bolts)

Kurt Andress K7NV@contesting.com
Thu, 05 Oct 2000 07:20:24 -0700

Michael Tope wrote:

> Mike,
>
> If you end up using SS clamps, make sure you use some kind of anti-seize compound
> like Molybednum Disulfide on the threads. SS gauls (seizes) very  easily.  Once this
> happens, you will have to use a hack saw to get the clamps off.

Yep!

The SS alloys used for garden variety SS fasteners are very soft. Gotta put some
lubricant in there.

What is deceiving for most is that they are usually successful in getting the fastener
tightenend. The surprise comes when they try to loosen the connection. It actually
fetched up just as it was pulled up tight, that's what that little squeak means. The
high pressure between the mating thread faces causes small surface imperfections to grip
one another and the soft material deforms creating a locking connection between the
faces. After that, more rotation creates more material deformation and a larger locking
area!

Now, there are some tricks that take lots of patience and time to get'em apart.That kind
of patience is pretty hard to come by for a guy hanging off a tower!

For most amateur antenna sized fasteners, I leave the hacksaw in the tool box and just
snap'em off with a wrench, sometimes a breaker bar for the bigger ones.

I've gone away from using the conventional "anti-seize" compounds. They work well
enough. It's just too hard to keep them from making a total mess out of everything
including me :-)

There is another material that is excellent for preventing gauling. One name it is sold
under is Lanocote, and is available at any marine hardware store, but is pretty costly.
The bestway to get some is to go to the local pharmacy and ask for some anhydrous
lanolin. I bought a lifetime supply, 1 lb jar for $12.

If I'm not using a locking compound, I use this stuff.Works great on the mating faces of
boom joints to prevent moisture intrusion and corrosion.

The lanolin is a heavy paste so it doesn't transfer easily to things like the
anti-seize. It is easy to wipe off, non-toxic, and is extremely tenacious in resisting
being washed out by moisture, never seen it happen!
It has been a favorite for threaded SS connections in the marine industry for many
years.

--
73, Kurt, K7NV

http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress/