[TowerTalk] Double Coax Feed

ValErwin@aol.com ValErwin@aol.com
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 10:34:26 EDT

Towertalkians:

The subject of running parallel coax feed to a dipole brings to mind an
article that appeared in either CQ or Ham Radio in the mid-70-80's time frame:

The author of that article used a fairly long run of twin coax (RG8, I think)
to feed each side of the dipole. It was done in the following manner:

At the antenna end of the double coax run, the two shields were tied together
but NOT terminated to the dipole. Then, each center conductor  was tied to
it's respective side of the dipole.

At the shack end of the double coax run, the two shields were again tied
together and also terminated to the earth ground termination of the antenna
tuner. Then, each center conductor was terminated to it's respective
balanced input of the tuner.

At the time, this article appeared in the ham rag, the TV cable industry was
using what appeared to be two parallel runs of double shielded RG59 (dunno'
the RG #).  Like any good ham, I got some of this stuff and used it to keep
from having to tye-rap  the coax over the entire length.  The result was
excellent! I used this antenna on 10-80M, QRO, for a period of 5 years until
I moved. This double coax approach also worked out very nicely for ham shack
access from the outside world.

Val L. Erwin
W5PUT
"Deep In The Heart of Texas"