[TowerTalk] length of radials on tower

Ford Peterson ford@cmgate.com
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 11:40:30 -0500

Geo,

The #10 wire is bare soft drawn copper.  I've got about 800' of the stuff on
a new spool.

I have received numerous emails from people.  Some are purporting that
14000' should do nicely.  Well, that ain't gonna happen here.

Devoldores Topband book talks extensively about radials.  Acheiving the
"optimum" installation would be nice but this is just a hobby after all.
Since I am installing a "comprimise" system, I might as well start by
installing the big wire in places that can be added to later.

Several sources indicate the most of the improvement to be gained occurs in
the "close-in" area to the tower.  The marginal investment $$$$ and sweat to
get the rest of the improvement possible results in optimum performance, but
only a small gain over the comprimised system.

Therefore, I am installing the comprimise.  Given that my system works
fairly well with only ground rods (a testimony to the miles of rich loamy
soil surrounding my station), I am hoping that getting a better near-in
connection to ground is the way to go.  Several sources indicate that most
of the improvement on 160 occurs in the first 50' of radials.  More short is
better than a few long.

Last year, I tried an experiment to lay some old RG59 I had laying around.
125' radials made almost no noticable change on the feed point impedance
(measured with an Autek).

The polyphasor site does indicate that the 50' to 70' provides optimum
performance for lightning, and provides most of the improvement possible for
RF as well.

The area within 50' of the tower is fairly clear.  I am leaning towards 50'
radials (12 to 16 or whenever I get tired of sweating) stitched in just
below the surface.  My wife has a tiller/edger (Mantis) that should work
nicely to place it just under the surface of the soil.  I will then use the
4 - 8' ground rods that I have here to hammered in near each radial support
(25' from the tower).

What do ya think?  Mistake?

Ford-N0OQW
ford@cmgate.com