[TowerTalk] length of radials on tower

Ford Peterson ford@cmgate.com
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 21:39:52 -0500

Thanks for all the great feedback.  The consensus appears to be that under
the circumstances, the 50' parameter and at least 12 (preferably 16) are a
must.

Another question:

This Rohn tiltover (68') has 4 pairs of guys.  The screw in earth anchors
are attached to each pair of guys.  The anchors themselves work somewhat
like a rod (although they are only 5' or so).  The upper guys are insulated
from the top with egg insulators.  The middle set of 4 is not electrically
isolated from the anchors.  I know this is a problem, which may explain the
broad band response from the antenna.  Some day I will insulate the middle
set too.

Is it a good idea to tie the guy anchors to the radial passing by?  This
would attach the guys (electrically) to the base of the tower.

Another thought.  Should I stitch in a run of #10 around the perimeter of
the guys--tying in each passing radial along the way?  I have heard this is
good.  I have also heard that it is bad.

By the way, I set down 8 50' radials today.  (more are planned but ran out
of daylight and nearly frostbit my hands)  I have a friend at 10 miles that
measured a 1.5 dbm signal loaded into my antenna (pre-radial project) at S6
this morning.  After installing 8 radials, he now measures S5.  The autek
showed some lowering of the resonant point (about 30kHz).

OK, I'm no genius but did expect improvement at 10 miles.  Any ideas?

Ford-N0OQW
ford@cmgate.com